Stuck in Autopilot
Written by: | Saturday, May 19th, 2012
The usual. The same thing day after day. Some people call it a routine – they say it makes them efficient. Others call doing the same thing over and over a practical approach to living. I just think going through life stuck in autopilot makes for a boring, outdated and small life.
My personal perspective is that in life, you can either make it happen (be a life owner) or let it happen (live in autopilot).
If you ‘let it happen,’
• You use yesterday’s thinking to make decisions today. Your responses can be outdated, ineffective or have less impact. The world changed and you didn’t.
• Others make your decisions for you – what to be, how to live, what to study…the list goes on. This guidance (though sometimes well-intending) can’t help but focus on what the other person feels is valuable – not what you feel is valuable.
• You end up in roles in life (work, beliefs, life) that don’t fit you.
• You feel like you missed out on doing what you love, living where you wanted or connecting to who inspires you the most.
If you ‘make it happen,’
• You constantly know your world – today – on today’s terms. You use this information to make meaningful and powerful decisions about how to live your life in a way that really matters.
• You choose. And regardless of whether your decisions are ultimatley good or bad, it is your choice. You own your life, your direction and your impact.
• You select roles (in work, belief and life) that fit you – that make you feel capable, competent and happy. You invent larger opportunities because you are aligned to your abilities, talents and passions.
• You don’t feel like you missed out because you went out and got what you wanted and needed in life.
Letting things happen is easier than making things happen. But easy doesn’t make something great. Life is hard work – and the reward for the hard work is creating a living a life you love.
A great life requires each of us to be decisive, intentional and determined. We have to know ourselves, know our world, then use this infornation to find our fit. That way, we show up each day making our life happen – never letting it just happen around us.
Good news should always be shared, and choosing to make things happen over letting things happen is very good news. Please share this with someone who can benefit from it. And contact me to learn about Intentionality – Making Things Happen – and other Greatness Coaching techniques. Be well, be great.